Evaluation of Alpine Skiing Injuries in Terms of Personal Precautions: Erciyes Sample
1Hitit University, Institute of Social Sciences, Department of Physical Education and Sports, Çorum, Turkey
2Ankara University, Institute of Health Sciences, Department of Physical Education and Sports, Ankara, Turkey
3Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University, School of Physical Education and Sports, Department of Coaching Education, Çanakkale, Turkey
Keywords: Skiing, sport injuries
Objective: The purpose of this study is to evaluate alpine skiing injuries in terms of individual precaution responsibility in the Kayseri Erciyes Ski Centre.
Material and Methods: This study was performed retrospectively; using data collected by ski patrollers and medical staffs of Erciyes Ski Centre between 2012 and 2017. During this period, 690 injury cases in alpine skiing were analyzed in terms of individual precautions.
Results: The analysis of demographic data revealed that 397 (57.5%) of the injured skiers were males and 293 (42.5%) were females, with a mean age of 27.1±10.6 years. It was found that 614 (89.0%) of the injured skiers had used the right and protective clothing, boots, poles, and bindings for alpine skiing, while the remaining 76 (11.0%) cases had not. Only 126 (18.3%) of the cases had been wearing helmets and 564 (81.7%) cases had not. According to skiing experience levels, 344 (49.9%) of the injured skiers were beginner level, 293 (42.5%) were intermediate level, and 53 (7.6%) were advanced and expert level.
Conclusion: As a result of the research, ski equipment usage of the injured skiers was at an optimum rate, but helmet-usage rate was considerably low. In the context of individual precautions in alpine skiing injuries, the importance of protective helmets in alpine skiing should be explained to the skiers, to increase helmet-usage rates. In addition, our findings indicate that the number of injured cases decreased proportionately with increasing skill and experience level. Therefore, more support should be given about skiing injury and individual precautions for beginner and intermediate level skiers.
Cite this article as: Yilmaz E, Özen G, Koc H. Evaluation of alpine skiing injuries in terms of personal precautions: Erciyes sample Turk J Sports Med. 2018;53:9-16.